When moving to a new place, it is wise to know exactly what needs to be done weekly. A weekly checklist helps you stay on track with your move and makes the transition easier by ensuring that nothing important gets overlooked. Here is a week-by-week moving timeline checklist that will help you get organized before you even begin packing.
8 weeks before moving day
- Look for a house/apartment in your desired area; make an appointment at your local realtor’s office to look at available houses/apartments. This gives you time to see if anything else pops up that you hadn’t planned on.
- Decide whether you will move on your own or use movers. If you decide to move, you need to research how much it costs to hire movers. It would be best to consider hiring a professional mover who has experience with significant moves.
- If you are renting, let your landlord know that you will be leaving so they can give you notice if necessary.
- Create a moving budget and learn how much money you will need to cover all expenses related to your move, including rent, movers, and all expenses related to your apartment.
- Make an inventory of all items you want to take with you (including furniture). Make sure you include pictures of each item. Also, please write down the price of each item. Make sure you review it once again before you leave.
- Think of how you will pack your belongings. Do you plan on using boxes or bags? Will you bring a dolly, or will you load your stuff onto a truck?
6 Weeks Before Moving
- Consider how you will get moving boxes to pack your stuff from your old home to your new one.
- Donate old and unused stuff that you won’t need.
- Start looking for a new health care provider; if you will be changing cities as well as a new school for your kids, it’s good to ask for suggestions and recommendations.
- A new residential area means a new postal address – go to the post office and get your address changed.
- If you have pets, 6 weeks before moving is an excellent time to take them to a vet for checkups and vaccinations.
- ou can visit your home in advance to make sure you have enough space for your belongings.
4 Weeks Before Moving
- Get your movers lined up – this is the most crucial step because it ensures that you will not miss anything important during the process.
- You must have found boxes of various sizes; if you choose to pack your stuff yourself, you can start packing.
- Cancel any subscriptions and delivery services, and memberships.
- If you will drive instead of fly, have your car serviced and if flying, make your travel arrangements for you and your family.
- Label your moving boxes to make them easier to pack and rearrange.
2 Weeks Prior to Moving
- Contact your professional movers to make sure things are going as per plan.
- Talk to your kids and let them know what is expected of them.
- Think about how you will pack fragile items.
- Use the food supplies that you won’t take with you.
- If you are organizing a goodbye party, this is the right time.
1 week prior to moving day
- Check and pay any bills.
- You can start disassembling your large furniture.
- Return borrowed items.
- Schedule cleaning that you may need to do.
- Defrost your refrigerator.
- Double-check if you have enough money for all the expenses.
- Contact your movers.
- You can confirm if your new address is working.
- Set aside all your valuables; do not hand them over to the movers.
- Go to bed early the night before and have a good rest, charge your phone don’t forget to wake up early too
- Take a tour make sure nothing is left behind
- Show the movers around
- Keep your kids and pets safely
- Make sure the movers have an accurate destination
- Do a final walkthrough and confirm everything is packed
When moving, you should always plan ahead to avoid troubles. The checklist above has been compiled to help you plan and prepare for a smooth and organized moving experience. If you need the help of an experienced and professional moving company, give Great White Moving Company a call or visit our website!