Fort Worth has become quite the popular living destination in recent years, and for good reason. This western hub of the DFW Metroplex is surrounded by endless activities, world class job opportunities and quaint neighborhoods with affordable living. If you have been thinking about moving to Fort Worth, you are not alone. More than 250 people a day make the move to Texas’ fifth largest city. Once you experience Fort Worth’s top-notch restaurants, live music venues, world class museums and the friendliest people in Texas, you will be glad you made the move to your new home. This guide offers information and helpful tips on nearly everything you will need to know about Fort Worth’s neighborhoods, schools, jobs, shopping and recreation to make your move to the Lone Star State as smooth as possible.
Residential Living in Fort Worth
Among the main attractions that are bringing more people to the Fort Worth area than other popular cities is the hot housing market and an affordable cost of living. Whether you are looking for that southern suburbia landscape or a high-rise condo, you will find what you are looking for in Fort Worth, Texas. The city has been nationally recognized for its affordable and diverse housing opportunities.
Some of Fort Worth’s most attractive neighborhoods are:
- Arlington Heights—a quaint suburban neighborhood conveniently located near downtown.
- Keller—famous for having been named one of the best small towns in America. Keller offers a historic charm and small-town roots while still providing residents with conveniences of a big city.
- Southlake—just minutes from downtown. This township has a lot to offer from excellent schools and professional job opportunities to daily events planned at Southlake Town Square.
- Wedgwood—the perfect home for anyone who prefers an urban living. With an abundance of restaurants, shops, parks, and activities, this neighborhood is perfect for any family.
- Downtown Fort Worth—a safe, clean and vibrantly active urban environment with an abundance of restaurants, shops, live music halls and daily events.
Entertainment in Fort Worth
Fort Worth is a contemporary city with a “Cowtown” reputation. There is endless fun in Fort Worth, offering the best of both worlds. From the largest indoor rodeo to the fine arts and museums, there is always something to do in Fort Worth.
Check out some of these places:
- Sundance Square—attracts over 10 million visitors a year.
- Kimball Art Museum—has Michelangelo’s first painting.
- Tons of Restaurants—includes Taco Heads, Chop House Burger, Pizza Snob, Vivo 53, Del Frisco’s and much more.
- The Zoo—is visited by thousands of families every week to see animals and attractions from around the world.
Employment in Fort Worth
Those moving to Fort Worth soon will land a job in no time. Being centrally located, this city offers a world class opportunity to businesses and is one of the top career destinations of the world. Saturated with Fortune 500 company headquarters, Fort Worth ranks in the top five cities for career opportunities.
Some of the top companies in Fort Worth are:
- American Airlines
- BNSF Railway
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
- Exxon Mobil
- Lockheed Martin
- Pier 1 Imports
Education in Fort Worth
Not only does Fort Worth claim bragging rights on their job opportunities with over 80,000 top businesses, but they also proudly boast about their impressive school system. From Pre-K to graduate school, this city has a wide range of educational establishments that offers residents an abundance of opportunities for themselves and their children alike.
Some noteworthy schools to check out are:
- Fort Worth Public Schools—These offer excellent educational opportunities from K-12.
- Private Schools—Fort Worth has over 60 of the country’s top private schools, with many of them being Christian based.
- Colleges and Universities—Fort Worth residents do not have to travel very far to continue their education after high-school. The city has over 60 universities and colleges, both private and public.
Culture in Fort Worth
Fort Worth is known for having a “cowboy culture,” but that limiting reputation downplays the variety of cultural events the city has to offer. Those seeking great shows and live music should check out these performing arts venues and events:
- Main Street Arts Festival—one of the top festival in Texas, this four-day event features live music, street performers, art fairs and much more family fun.
- Bass Performance Hall—one of the top Opera Houses of the world, this hall offers Broadway shows, Ballets, Orchestras, and seats more than 2000 guests.
- Fort Worth Stockyards District—featuring the infamous bull-riding, concerts, and rodeos, the Stockyards District brings Fort Worth to life at night.
- Lone Star International Film Festival—held annually, this five-day festival presents top films of the year.
For more live venues, check out Wild Rooster, Magnolia Motor Lounge, Fred’s Café and Capital Bar.
Fun in Fort Worth
From soaking up the sun to family friendly events, Fort Worth offers an abundance of free and affordable fun. If you want to treat the family to a day out without breaking your budget, check out these places and activities:
- The Fort Worth Water Gardens—an engineering masterpiece with a vortex of pools, waterfalls and fountains.
- Molly the Trolley—a fun and free vintage style trolley that runs daily back and forth from the Sundance Square to the Convention Center.
- West 7th—a five-block expansion packed with an abundance of entertainment, shopping and dining hot spots.
Relocating to Fort Worth
Whether you are moving to relocate for your current job, to find a new job or just for a change of scenery, Fort Worth welcomes you. Now that you are familiar with the city’s hot spots, job opportunities, neighborhoods and schools, it is time to start packing and finding a moving company to help you get there. The first thing you will need to do when choosing a moving company is to find one that is licensed, insured and has a good BBB rating. Read customer reviews while you’re at it, and be sure to ask for any available discounts.
Welcome to Fort Worth.